This here is the homesite of plash, a native Ohioan, inquisitive craftsperson, game maker, and analytic system-thinker.
More formally, plash is an autodidact computer programmer currently subsisting in Northeast Ohio and seeking employment in the games industry across the universe.
One can email plash via firstname.lastname@example.org or dive into the depths of the freenode, synIRC, and Blitzed networks, where one may happen upon the ethereal form of plash. There're button thingies on the left for GitHub and Twitter profiles.
plash also does QA/playtesting for Linux video games. If you're a game developer in need of some Linux eyes, do ping.
A collection of cool things and questionably cool things-in-progress that plash has either created or touched.
Allopoeia (also known as The Allo) is an open-authorship journal/blag for anything and everything that was created as a replacement for plash's blog. See here if you're interested in posting something (it would be totally rad).
All the Maths‽ is a general-purpose mathematics library for C++11. It will eventually support all the typical vector and matrix constructs and procedures, exotic algorithms (for the fun of it), and maybe everything in-between.
Beard is a terminal UI for C++11. Because ncurses is an abomination. In the interest of fairness, Beard also happens to be an abomination. Must be the TTY sickness.
Cacophony is a serialization library for C++11. It is similar to cereal, but doesn't dabble in polymorphism, instead requiring explicit hierarchic serialization as opposed to type registration and RTTI.
duct++ presently gets the most care. It gracefully carries its own weight (with zero dependencies) and cracks many an enigma:
- Compiler and platform detection macros.
- Debug message and assertion macros.
- Endian byte-swapping.
- Unicode encoding and string conversion helpers.
- iostream helpers for binary and textual data (integrates with the C++ Standard Library).
- Dynamic-memory and multi-cast stream classes.
- Generic token parsing and argument parsing.
- CVar-esque system with validation, and a markup language.
- Set of macros for scoped error reporting and messaging.
- Miscellaneous utilities and common classes.
It requires only a sensible C++11 implementation — meaning, alas, it cannot be used with MSVC.
Onomo is a dark, moody platformer concept created over a 48-hour period for Ludum Dare 30. plash neglected mechanics and made something that is only compelling in aesthetic. The code is available under the CC BY-NC-ND 3.0 license.
Prisma is a minimalistic color-based quasi-puzzle game created over a 72-hour period for Ludum Dare 26. The levels are poor, the audio is terrible, and the “puzzles” are mostly based on player speed. The code is available under the CC BY-NC-ND 3.0 license.
togo is a collection of C++ libraries governed by data-oriented design.
Trait Wrangler is a small C++11 library for trait testing & common trait compounds.
Here are some other little things that warrant mention:
- include_sort: order-explicit inclusion sorter for C and C++ (supremely silly).
- igen: libclang-based interface generator for C++ (abominable).
- brinktools: some shabby code for reading BRINK's SDMD2 and SDPK2 formats (including documentation; warning: code uses legacy duct++ API).
- Elian fonts: variant-width and monospace fonts for the Elian script (including FontForge source files).
Here are some links plash has procured for your enjoyment.
The unsorted bucket:
- Readability — an excellent site-formatting tool for pleasant reading.
- 99% Invisible — a podcast about design; lot of really neat stuff.
- Adam Savage's obsessions — Mr. Savage giving an awesome TEDTalk.
- Chip and Ironicus — they do LPs.
- Hawken — the beautifulest F2P mech game in existence.
- Johann Sebastian Joust — possibly the only legitimate use of PlayStation Move controllers in existence.
- Journey — a brilliant speechless narrative of companionship & the catharsis of a journey.
- Antichamber — a “psychological exploration” game (it's about life).
- Dustforce — leaf-purging platformer.
- LIMBO — spooky platformer.
- VVVVVV — platformer for masochists.
Webcomics, periodicals and books:
- Easy Pieces — the awesome essence of Neil Dvorak.
- Dresden Codak — awesome art & story.
- DOUBLE K — TTGL fanfic.
- Cucumber Quest — one of the very best comics on the net.
- Order of Tales — great story.
- xkcd — obligatory.
- The Bonefolder — a collaborative periodical about bookbinding.
- Machine of Death — collection of short stories by various authors.
Musicians and music:
- 8bitpeoples — 8-bit/chiptune music label; releases a whole lot of free albums.
- Anamanaguchi — chiptune band.
- The J. Arthur Keenes Band — chiptune-reggae coolness.
- Lifeformed — composer for indie game Dustforce.
- Danny Baranowsky — composer for indie games Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac.
- C418 — composer for indie game Minecraft.
- NEOTOKYO° soundtrack — for the indie HL2 mod NEOTOKYO° by the awesome Ed Harrison, now free.
- Portal 2 soundtrack — THREE VOLUMES! free!
- Arcanum soundtrack — by Ben Houge, free.
- Yes, plash worked on mooege.
- Yes, plash dislikes pronouns.
- EBE2 946B 216F A919 6E38 2DFF 64D8 A116 A514 D8CE